Converse has been the shoe of choice for hipsters and trendsetters. Converse’s iconic shoes include the Jack Purcell, Chuck Taylor All Stars, Chuck Taylor sneakers, One Star, and Chuck 70. They come in platform designs, mid-top, low-top, and high-top. The good news is that you can give your converse shoe a personal touch with a little bit of creativity. Converse Chuck Taylors and Chuck 70s are among the most classic, sought-after sneakers on the market today. The two differ slightly, but the common bond is that they are vintage-looking and unique.
What makes the converse Chuck Taylor one of the most popular shoes in the world is that they are so much more than just a comfortable pair of shoes. Converse Chuck Taylors are versatile and can make almost any outfit look stylish. Combining a simple high-top shoe, a touch of color, and bling will add a whole new look to your wardrobe. You can also get kids to customize their own Converse Chuck Taylors. The Converse Chuck Taylor is great for any age, and kids will have a blast customizing their sneakers. They can mix over 8 colors available on the Converse Chucks to get the perfect color combination. We will explore how to customize converse chuck taylors.
How to customize your Converse Chuck Taylors or Chuck 70s
Here are seven top ways to customize the various types of converse sneakers.
The Brand Website
You can shop for a customized converse shoe online by heading off to the brand’s official website. Converse’s website has over 18 colors available for you, each with different sub-colors. Mix and match colors like black, white, red, pink, blue, and green. You can also add reflective trim around the shoe or lace holes to make it look cooler.
The converse website also has all the information you need to help you with your customization. You will get detailed information on how to do various things and helpful tools that can help you along the way. For instance, if you find an existing design but would like to edit the design a little bit, the website has a customization tool that allows you to do just that. Make your low top shoe or high top shoe meet your preferred style by choosing your best color among the over 14 colors available on the online converse site.
Hand Painting Your Converse Chuck Taylors
It can be quite satisfying to paint your Chuck Taylors All Star into over 16 colors available in the market. You can express countless possibilities and endless concepts through hand painting and use your paint chips as inspiration. If you want to get creative, then painting the entire shoe is an excellent idea, but if you want to add a bit of color without going the full monty, then just one accent piece would be great.
Supplies for Hand Painting
These items will be helpful for your hand-painting project.
- Painter’s tape
- Acrylic paint/Gesso in black or white
- XACTO knife
- Acrylic finisher or varnish
- Quality Acrylic paints
- Fine tip marker
- Apply painter’s tape to cover the areas you do not want to paint. The trick is to outline the shape of the letter, which will make it easier for you to paint neatly.
- Paint your shoes with a base coat. If you opt for a white base coat, you can skip this step if you want.
- Use an XACTO knife to refine and sharpen your design details in pencil sketches and freehand drawings.
- Apply the paint. Using a brush for this step is best, but you can also use a quill pen or your finger. The key is to be neat and clean. If you make a mistake, use an XACTO knife to clean up the paint around the area you are fixing. When you are done painting, leave your shoes overnight to dry completely. You can speed up the process using a blow dryer or air conditioning.
- Finish with an acrylic finisher or varnish to protect your design from rain and other elements in the air.
You can customize your Chuck 70 or Chuck Taylors converse shoes with an airbrush. You don’t have to be an expert because you can use certain products to help you with the process. You can do it yourself at home or take your sneakers to a professional for help.
Supplies for Air Brushing your converse shoes
- Acrylic paints
- Quality Paintbrushes and a paint container
- Vaseline or gum Arabic for cleaning up mistakes.
- Masking tape
- Matte-acrylic finisher
- Tape off your design with a piece of masking tape. It is best to paint around the area you are masking off so that it comes out clear and clean.
- Spray on the base coat. You can do this from multiple angles and with an air pressure of about 40 PSI. You should be able to perform multiple passes for a better application.
- Apply your color in different areas or additional coats as needed for a better result.
- Outline your design using a fine-tip marker. Then, place a piece of Vaseline or gum Arabic on the backside of your tape. Slip the tape off carefully without smudging any of your designs.
- Apply a matte-acrylic finisher to protect your design.
Hydro dipping your converse shoes is a fun and effective way of giving your shoe an entirely new look. It’s also pretty straightforward when you follow the instructions to the letter. Hydro dipping involves submerging your shoes in water, then dipping them into a chemical that coats them and gives them a new appearance. You can achieve over 13 colors available online for hydro dipping your shoes. Sam Alxr’s compilation video on the hydro dip is a great tutorial explaining how to do it correctly. Remember that the color you choose should coordinate with your outfit and shoes.
Materials for Hydro-Dipping Converse Shoes
- Hydro-dipping liquid (water-based)
- A bucket that can hold the liquid
- Painters tape
- Matte acrylic finisher (for protection)
- Spray paint from Rust-oleum or any other brand that contains acrylic
- Face mask for protection against dangerous gasses
- Shoe-cleaner if your shoes are old
Steps to Customize Your Shoes by Hydro Dipping
- Apply painter’s tape to the areas you do not want to be affected by the hydro-dipping liquid.
- Use a bucket to submerge your shoes in the hydro-dipping liquid until they are fully covered.
- Remove your shoes from the bucket and let them dry for several hours, depending on how fast they dry. Please make sure they are dry before removing the tape and painting.
- Use a matte acrylic finisher to protect the paint job. Make sure that the finish is durable and lasts all day long.
Use a Sharpie
A Sharpie is a great way to add a touch to your high-top shoe. This works the same as using a color pen, but the Sharpie will give your shoes the added effect of looking old-school. Using a Sharpie can be tricky if you are not experienced with it. However, if you want to start customizing your high top shoe, it is an easy and cheap way to do so. It is a simple process, but if you are unfamiliar with using a Sharpie, follow the instructions. Also, you can use over 14 colors available to customize your low-top shoe.
- Rubbing alcohol
- Sharpie markers
- Fill the eye dropper with rubbing alcohol and clean the shoe surface you want to color.
- Use a sharpie marker to color each section of your shoe with a color of your choice.
- Let the marker dry, and then use an eraser or a wet tissue to remove mistakes.
- Repeat this process until you finish customizing your high-top shoe using a Sharpie marker.
Add Swarovski Crystal Bling
If you want a unique way to customize your high-top Converse, adding Swarovski crystals is the best way to do it. The Swarovski crystals will allow you to add bling to your shoe uniquely. The best part about this customization method is that it is temporary. If you decide to change the look of your new shoe, you must remove the crystal bling and paint it again.
- Long-lasting glue or industrial adhesive
- Rhinestones or Swarovski crystals
- Masking tape
- You will need to find the right size rhinestones or Swarovski crystals and glue to customize your high-tops.
- Use a measuring tape to determine the size of each shoe you want to add bling. Then, mark off the sections with masking tape and number each section accordingly.
- Apply the glue onto the areas marked off on your shoe with masking tape and sprinkle rhinestones or Swarovski crystals onto each area.
- Let the glue dry overnight.
Use Studs Bedazzle
This unique technique allows you to add extra color or various colors available on Amazon and a completely different look to your shoe. The studs bedazzle technique is a lot like painting with a paint pen, but it includes permanent gems as part of the design. You must be careful because the studs can scratch the shoe. Therefore, it is important to ensure that you take the appropriate precautions.
- Permanent glue
- Masking tape
- Grab a handful of your favorite rhinestones and put them onto a masking tape. This will be your design template.
- Next, grab a handful of permanent glue and place it onto the areas where you want to add rhinestones to the shoe.
- Make sure that you place the glue evenly by filling each area with glue and adding in rhinestones as well as possible.
- Let the glue to dry overnight.
What is the difference between Chuck Taylor and Chuck 70?
The difference between Chuck Taylor and Chuck 70 is that the latter is known for its distinguishable look. They also have a strong build that can last for a long period. On the other hand, Chuck Taylors are less iconic and generic shoes. They are also flimsier and looser.
What paint do you use to paint Converse?
The best paint to use is acrylic paint, dye paint, and acrylic spray. If you want an unconventional look, then use regular spray paint. It is cheap and easy to use, and you can create beautiful designs that no one has ever seen. However, if you want something more subtle, the best way to go about it is with dye or acrylic paint. Dye paints are great because they are softer to the touch and stain-proof.
How much does it cost to make a custom Converse?
Customizing Converse Chuck Taylors can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on your chosen method and the supplies you purchase. Budget is also a factor if this is something you wish to invest in. For hand painting, supplies cost around $8 per color. But if you hydro dip, you’re looking at a price of around $30. If you are doing your spray painting, then the price will be about $40 for one color.
How do you embroider on Converse shoes?
There are two simple ways to go about embroidering on your Chucks. The first way is to use a sewing braid, a string of thread that you can use to create the design on your shoe. The other way is by using a sewing machine. You can transfer the design onto your shoes using the embroidery feature on your sewing machine.
Does Sharpie wash off Converse?
Yes, Sharpie will wash off Converse. For this process, you will need to use warm water, white vinegar, and a gentle cleaning product. The warm water and the cleaning solution will help to remove the Sharpie from your shoe without damaging it.
What glue can I use on Converse?
The best glue to use on Converse is spray glue. The glue will help to ensure that your work looks neat and professional. You can also choose to go with dry glue, which is ideal if you want something more distinctive.
How do you paint Converse shoes?
Paint Converse shoes by using spray paint or by using a paint pen. Spray paints are easier to use but not ideal if you want something permanent and durable. On the other hand, using a paint pen allows you to create more detailed work and something that is uniquely yours.
Will acrylic paint stay on Converse?
Yes, acrylic paint will stay on Converse. This is because acrylic paint is made to be slightly waterproof and stain-proof.